Tuesday, March 30, 2010

From the vault...



The back of the picture proudly displays the date, written in my little kid scrawl:

March 30, 1985

That's right, you're looking at a picture of a seven-year-old Sara, posing in a College Station, Texas, Dillard's department store. That little Sara is clutching a basket (which most assuredly was "Hecho en Mexico" and contains Sara's first-born Cabbage Patch Kid, Mary).

Sara, dressed in her finest going to the mall pastel Easter colors, looks straight ahead at the camera, smiling. Surely, Sara's little face serves only to mask the raging torrent of fear coursing through her veins--fear brought on by the fact that at that moment on March 30, 1985, sweet Sara sat next to "The Scariest Easter Bunny Ever."

We can almost overlook the terrifying faceless mannequins posing behind Sara and "The Scariest Easter Bunny Ever." We almost fail to realize that those mannequins are even there, what with the masked bunny sitting right next to Sara, a furry bunny paw clutching her little shoulder, the other paw holding a pink balloon.

But, even if we cannot fathom all the creepiness of this picture, we must ask ourselves, with all the beauty of this season, why did the good people of Dillard's department store decide that this was the proper way to capture the spirit of Easter?

3 comments:

  1. It is a bit frightening I must say. That was the year Easter was on my birthday. I remember getting the Cabbage Patch doll and my mom made her and I matching outfits and this cool little carrying basket. I still think the basket was cool, but I am questionning why a cabbage patch and a 7 year old need matching outfits? And why my mom was ok with this?

    I must say I am quite glad I don't have any birthday pictures with the scary bunny and faceless mannequins.

    Your hair looks good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolls that match their owners...it's a weird trend, really. Who knows why that started? :)

    And you think my hair looks good because that's been my hairstyle for 100 years, give or take!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that rabbit. Mom took me to have my picture made with it and I wouldn't sit down. Those faceless kids always freaked me out, I was so glad when they got rid of them.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete